They areHP laptop screen is blackAnd you didn't do anything that would cause the black screen issue? don't panic! Black screen problems usually occur after Windows Update and many people have solved them.HP laptop black screenwith the solutions in this article.
Whether you are experiencing issues such as an HP black screen that stays on or a black screen on startup, you can try the methods below to resolve the issue.
How to fix a black screen on an HP laptop?
Here are the solutions you can try that have helped others to solve the problem. You shouldn't try them all; just loop through the list until everything starts working again.
- Hard reset the laptop
- Restart the explorer.exe process
- Update your graphics card driver
- Disable fast startup
- Undo recent changes
Apart fromSolution 1To try these solutions, you must be logged into Windows on the laptop that has the problem. If you are unable to log into Windows, turn the laptop off and on three times to hard reset and restart the computerSecurity Modethen try these solutions.
In general, faulty hardware can cause HP laptop black screen. Therefore, disconnect the connected hardware from the laptop and check if this is the problem.
- Turn off the laptop.
- Disconnect power, hard drives, battery, and any attached peripherals.
- Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and then release it.
- Insert the battery and connect the charger. So don't connect anything else.
- Restart your laptop to see if it works now.
If this fixes the black screen issue on your HP laptop, the problem should be found and resolved. After that, you can turn off your laptop and connect one peripheral at a time and see if the problem might reoccur. Then you can find the cause and fix it.
Note: If this method fixes the black screen issue, it should beupdate your graphic card driverto prevent this problem from happening again.
Don't worry if the black screen is still there. We have other solutions to try. Please note that if you are unable to log in to your Windows laptop, you should start it in safe mode before trying the solutions below.
If the explorer.exe process has been closed (possibly due to a virus), a black screen may appear on your HP laptop.
The Explorer.exe process manages the desktop, taskbar, etc. from the laptop, so when you shut down the system, the desktop and taskbar will become invisible and the screen will turn black.
Note: The screenshots below are from Windows 10 and the fixes also work on Windows 8 and Windows 7.
- On the keyboard, press a keyControl,ChangeWExitkeys simultaneouslytask management.
- click onDetailstab (orTrialtab if you are using Windows 7).
- Scroll down and findexplorer.exeattempt.
- If so, end the process by selecting explorer.exe and clickinglast task.
- Restart your HP laptop and see if that fixes the black screen issues.
If you cannot find explorer.exe in the list, you can run the process yourself:
- Still in Task Manager clickDurationand chooseloki new task.
- Typexplorer.exeand pressWalk intoon keyboard.
- The process will start and you can check if your desktop is back to normal.
A missing or outdated graphics card driver in a laptop can cause a black screen. So check that your laptop's graphics drivers are up to date and update those that are not.
There are two ways to update your graphics drivers: manual and automatic.
You can manually search for the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer and download and install it on your computer. This requires time and computer skills. We recommend this if you are confident in your computer skills.
If you don't have time or patience, you can do it automatically.easy driver.
Driver Easy automatically recognizes your system and finds the right drivers for it. You don't have to know exactly what system your computer is running on, you don't have to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don't have to worry about making mistakes during installation.
You can automatically update drivers usingFREEzProfessionalEasy driver version. But with the Pro version, it only takes 2 clicks (and you get full support and30 day money back guarantee).
- Download Install Easy driver.
- Launch Driver Easy and clickdo not scanCommand. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problematic drivers.
- click onUpdatenext to the highlighted graphics device to automatically download the correct driver version (you can do this with theFREEversion), then install the driver on your computer.
or clickUpdate everythingto automatically download and install the correct version of any missing or outdated drivers on your system (professional version– after clicking you will be asked to updateUpdate everything).
- After the update, restart your computer for it to take effect.
Check if the black screen is resolved.
Disabling fast startup can solve the black screen problem on an HP laptop. To do this, follow the steps below:
- opencontrol panelon your computer and seeControl panel items with small iconszlarge icons.
- Clickenergy options.
- ClickChoose what the power buttons do.
- ClickChange settings that are currently unavailable.
- uncheckEnable fast startup (recommended). then clicksaving changes.
Restart your computer and check if your laptop screen is working properly.
It is likely that Windows has recently been updated or that you have installed some program on your computer that is causing the laptop screen to go black. In this case, you should try to restore Windows to a previous version.
If you have installed the program on your HP laptop, uninstall it from the laptop and restart it to see if the display works.
If you updated Windows, you need to roll back to the previous version. How to do it:
Note: Before you start, be sure to back up important data on your computer.
If you are using Windows 10, 8 or 8.1:
- opencontrol panelone clickSecurity system.
- ClickSystem>Security system>System recovery….
- Chooserestore pointyou want to use from the list. Then follow the onscreen wizard to finish.
If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
- IntendBegin>All programs>Accessories>System Tools.
- Clicksystem recovery.
- Chooserestore pointwant to use, then follow the onscreen wizard to complete.
After restoring the system, restart the laptop and see if the black screen is gone.
Why is my HP laptop screen black?
There are several reasons that can cause a black laptop screen. One of the most common causes is faulty hardware, such as a loose connection to the GPU or faulty cables or ports that can cause the display to not work. In addition to hardware issues, a laptop screen may be black due to software issues such as viruses or software corruption.
Sometimes it is difficult to determine the exact cause of the black screen problem, but there is still something you can do to fix this annoying problem. You can first find out where the problem lies by reliably and correctly connecting the external monitor to your HP laptop.
If the external display is working properly, the HP laptop monitor should be the cause of the problem and should be taken to a computer store for repair. If the external screen is still black, there must be a hardware problem in the laptop or a software problem in the system. Continue reading and try the solutions below to resolve the issue.
This is. I hope this post will be useful and help you solve your problem.black screen problemon your HP laptop.
- black screen
Check your power setting. While your laptop screen goes black but still running, there could be a high chance that there is something wrong with your power setting. You need to check the brightness of your laptop and also the overall power setting. You also need to check if your laptop is on a power-saving mode or not.Why does my HP laptop screen goes black randomly? ›
Check your power setting. While your laptop screen goes black but still running, there could be a high chance that there is something wrong with your power setting. You need to check the brightness of your laptop and also the overall power setting. You also need to check if your laptop is on a power-saving mode or not.Can a hard drive not booting cause a black screen? ›
Checking the Hard Drive
A bad hard drive or corrupted operating system can cause “black screen” by failing to load the operating system. It may give just a dark screen with a blinking cursor, start to load the desktop and only give a black background, or give a boot device error message.
Reset your PC by holding the "Shift" key while you click the "Power" button > "Restart" in the lower-right corner of the screen. Your PC will restart in Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment. Step 3. From the options screen, choose "Troubleshoot > Reset this PC".